How to Take Care of a Guppy Fish
guppy fish is one of the most popular freshwater aquarium fish and they are very beautiful. The colorful looks of this fish attracts many people and they eventually breed them in the aquariums. The male guppies are more attractive as compared to the female guppies. They come in variety of colors and have fancy patterns. Breeding, looking after the fish and learning how to take care of a guppy fish is not a tough task.
So, if you are planning to get a guppy fish, here some tips on guppy care.
- First, you will have to arrange for a suitable fish tank or aquarium, because this is one of the most important aspects of guppy fish care. Guppy aquarium fish have a specific water and tank requirement, which is very important for their health and well-being. They will require at least a ten-gallon tank or a ten-gallon aquarium, even if you get baby guppies.
- Once the fish grows up, they will need that much space. If you are planning to buy another tank and shifting them once they grow older, then a five-gallon tank will be enough. Remember that you must consider the number of guppies you will be keeping in the tank before you buy one. If you do not want to breed the female and male guppies but still want to keep both, then you will have to keep them in separate tanks.
- Always remember that maintaining and cleaning the guppy fish tank is essential for their health. You will have to maintain the aquarium temperature from 75 degrees to 84 degrees F, depending on the external temperature. Also, you will need a light source to be kept on the inside the tank and you must keep it for 12 hours everyday.
- Clean the water every week by removing 20 percent of the aquarium water and adding clean and fresh water. Remember to remove the water from the base of the tank as well to get rid of the debris. Try to install a siphon inside the aquarium so that you can get rid of the debris. Another important thing is maintaining the pH level of the tank water. Remember that it should be around 7.0 to 7.2 and you can also use the tools that are available at the local pet stores.
- Remember that guppies need food, which is high in proteins and also baby brine shrimp is not their favorite so never feed them those. You must give them small amount of food thrice a day, but make sure that you do not overfeed them. Give them flake food, brine eggs, white worms, mosquito larvae or frozen dried plankton. All these food items will help in promoting healthy growth of the guppies and ensure that the food inside the tank has been consumed before you feed them again.
Guppy Fry Care
- Guppy fry care is only essential if you breed your guppy fish. Firstly, you must arrange for a separate tank where the fry can grow properly. After the fry is out, immediately move them into a separate tank and add little aquarium water and debris inside it. Remember to clean the tank every week so that the fry can grow in a healthy manner. For feeding, you can give the fry some baby brine shrimp or dry food, but make sure that you do not overfeed them. Once they are eight to ten weeks old then you can shift them in separate tanks.
So, this was everything about the guppy fish care. Look after the fish properly to make sure that they have a healthy and long life.
Related Tags: taking care of guppies, how to take care of a guppy, guppy fish, how to take care of guppies, how to take care of a guppy fish, how to take of guppies, how to take care of guppies fish, how to take care guppy